View more on Flickr
Monday, Aug 7-Friday, Aug 11, 2017
An all-ages, hands-on experience in music, dance, storytelling, puppetry, nature, crafts and pure play! Something for the whole family.
“YOUTH HAS NO AGE.” — PABLO PICASSO
Join us at Ashokan Family Camp this summer. Bring your parents, your kids, and your friends, and share music, dancing, singing, storytelling, puppet-making, nature trails, traditional crafts, and quality time in the great outdoors… age-old activities that enhance well-being and bring people together.
This is not a simply a kid’s camp, but truly an experience for all members of the community, with or without children. Librarians, teachers, and anyone who works with children will find ideas and materials to enrich their curriculum.
From babies to teens and parents to grandparents, Ashokan Family Camp will leave you with hearts full of music and family memories that will last a lifetime.
• Begin or improve on the guitar, fiddle, mandolin, ukulele, or banjo.
• Join community sings (rounds, chorus songs, call & response, and more).
• Enjoy square and contra dancing and Appalachian clogging.
• Hike nature trails, swim, and enjoy other outdoor games and activities.
• Make puppets and join a puppet show.
• Try blacksmithing, broom-making, and tinsmithing. Bring home a family heirloom.
• Take part in jam sessions.
• Join the band. Join a parade.
• Make musical instruments from junk.
• Write songs and learn to lead songs.
About Classes and Age Groups
We offer classes in a variety of age groupings. This year’s camp will feature two classes a day based on age groups: “Early Childhood”, “Younger”, “Older”, and “13 and Up”. Other classes will be for mixed ages, and of course we will all gather to sing, dance, jam, and listen to stories twice each day. In all mixed-age classes, we request that children 4 and under be accompanied by an adult.