Hover over the image above and use the arrows to advance slides.
Clicking on the image will take you to Stewart Dean’s flickr.com page
New Year’s at Ashokan: 2016–2017
This camp took place Dec 30, 2016–Jan 2, 2017
2016/2017 New Year’s Camp Schedule
- 3-6pm: Suggested arrival and check in. Follow signs to check-in. If you must drive down, please unload and then return your car to the main lot right away. If you need your car nearby for disability or health reasons, please ask for a special Ashokan parking permit.
- 6pm Dinner is served
- 7pm Sing-along with John in the Louisiana Lounge
Slow Jam Band with Tom in the Garden Room
- 8pm Contras and Waltzes with John and Swingology
- 9pm Swingtime
- 10pm Cajun with Les Ferrailles
- 11pm Snacks
Dance workshops and music workshops, and jam sessions all day. Wood-burning sauna, cross country skiing, ice skating available (conditions permitting, with your own equipment)
- 8:30am: Breakfast
- 12:30pm: Lunch
Our New Year’s Eve Dance & Dinner Party 2016/2017! After a four-course meal, there will be a sing-a-long, then dancing in two rooms until the wee hours, with a midnight countdown celebration for the New Year!
- 6pm: New Year’s Eve Dinner
- 7pm: Sing-a-long Song Swap with Peter
Slow Jam Band with Tom
- 7:30pm: New Year’s Eve Dance Party
- Midnight: Count Down to 2017
- More dancing ’til the wee hours!
Dance workshops and music workshops, and jam sessions all day. Wood-burning sauna, cross country skiing, ice skating again available
- 9am: Breakfast
- 1pm: Lunch
- 6pm: Dinner is served
- 7pm: Sing-along with John
Slow Jam Band with Tom
- 8pm: Contras and Waltzes with John and Swingology
- 9pm: Les Ferrailles
- 10pm: Swingology
- 11pm: Snacks
- 10am: Brunch
- Noon – 2pm: Farewell Dance
Photo: Rick Lightbody
- Swingology – Contras & Squares, Swing, Blues, Waltzes with groove, creativity and pizzazz!. Molly Mason (vocals, guitar & piano), Jay Ungar (vocals, fiddle & mandolin), Peter Davis (vocals, clarinet, sax, guitar, piano), Dave Davies (vocals, trombone & guitar), Peter Ecklund (trumpet, flugelhorn), Harry Aceto (bass), Russ Sternglass (drums)
- Les Ferrailles – This Louisiana band packs a powerful Cajun punch guaranteed to get your feet moving. Yvette Landry (guitar & vocals), Ryan Brunet (accordion), Chris Segura (fiddle), Jonno Frishberg (fiddle) and Trevor Landry (drums)
- Singing and instrumental music classes with many of the folks above plus John Krumm and Tom Krumm
- Tempest (sat only) – Trad tunes with inventive, progressive grooves and harmonies. Tim Ball (fiddle), Chuck Abell (guitar), Eric Metzgar (drums)
- Zydegroove (sat only) – Zydeco music in our late night Zydeco Lounge
- John Krumm and Dugan Murphy (sat only) – Contras & Squares
- Cindy Overstreet and Steve Ryan – Lindy, West Coast, Slow Blues
- Erin Segura – Cajun & Zydeco dance
Classes and Workshops: Swing, Cajun and Zydeco dance, fiddle, mandolin, guitar, singing, waltzes, Cajun and swing/jazz, ensemble jams, sing-alongs and more.
The photos in the slide show above were taken by Stewart Dean during New Year’s camp.
View more on Stewart Dean’s Flickr site.
You can also visit the 2015/6 New Year’s Camp page featuring photos and videos!